Tuesday, January 16, 2007

 

Have you seen my Tortie?

Mama Cat -- I mean Dee Dee -- recently bought a book by Eric Carle called, Have You Seen My Cat? She bought it because she saw a special exhibition at the Tacoma Art Museum that showed his original artwork from picture books he's written over the years. I guess he wrote a book once about a very hungry caterpillar, but I'm much more excited about the book on cats!

It's a very scary story about a boy who loses his cat. I can't believe they let children read such a thing! He searches for his cat all over the world and encounters a lion, a bobcat, a panther, a tiger, and even a Persian cat (I don't know how they breathe through those noses), but none of them is his cat. My tail gets spiky just thinking about getting lost.

I don't really get the end. The last page shows a picture of a big, blue striped cat lying down with a bunch of kittens climbing all over it! Didn't the boy know that his cat was going to have kittens? (having had kittens myself at a rather, ahem, young age, let me tell you it's no picnic!)

Personally, I think the book should have ended with the boy finding his beautiful tortoiseshell cat curled up in the closet on top of his sweaters. Torties should always be the heroine of stories because we are so fabulous. We are cats worth searching the world for!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?